Not having much else to do this afternoon, I figured this would be as good a day as any to make sure there was a recent archive of the contents of my company’s web server.
I fired up an ftp client, logged in and began transferring the contents of the web root to my HD. I’ve been babysiting the process, just in case the connection gets dropped (the server can be cranky sometimes) and I’m amazed at some of the stuff I’ve discovered thus far.
Product sites in multiple locations – backups of backup directories – crap from 1998/1999 that should have been deleted, (infact I was under the impression that it had been) – entire directories with names like europe.deleteme and wwwboard_est_mort which should probably go.
I’m currently downloading product patches that aren’t even supposed to be on the web server – that’s what the ftp servers are for.
I knew there was some cruft on the box, but I had no idea how bad it was. I’m starting to wonder if the 14GB I have on my workstation is going to be enough. Once this stuff is downloaded archived to CD, I think I’ll go in and start cleaning out the crap.
UPDTATE: I started this process at about 4:30 this afternoon it is now 10:40. I had to restart the transfer a few times because of our cranky webserver. (Not from scratch – just from the last file to get transfered before being dropped.) Final tally: 4.31GB used by 73,162 Files in 2,093 directories. I think I could easily cut that amount in 1/2 without thinking about it (by dumping the backups of backups, “working%20files”, “resource.frk” “_vti_cnf” and the like) I could probably reduce that even more by going through and getting rid of some of the other crap that doesn’t really need to be there.
Looks like I have a project for next week: the web-monkey version of spring cleaning. 🙂
Edited on May 2nd 2003, 05:43 by Hooloovoo